Clinics & Services
In addition to general medical services Scotstown Medical Group provides the following “additional services”:
- Child health surveillance, together with the Health Visiting team
- Contraceptive services including contraceptive advice, oral contraceptive pills, contraceptive injections, implant fitting and IUCD (coil) insertion.
- Maternity services in the ante-natal and post-natal period, together with the midwives from the Aberdeen Maternity Hospital
- Routine immunisation of children, together with the Health Visiting team
- Minor Surgery Clinics: for the removal of various small skin lesions
- 'Florence' blood pressure remote monitoring
- Please note that we no longer offer treatments for warts and verrucas or carry out ear syringing. Please find guidelines below for self treatment.
Florence Blood Pressure Monitoring
What is Flo?
‘Florence’, or ‘Flo’ as it is referred to, combines the expertise of healthcare professionals with the convenience of the patients' own mobile phone. Florence sends text reminders to patients, prompting them to check their blood pressure. Once the patient has taken their blood pressure, they can text the readings to Florence. The program will collate all the information provided and can be accessed by the clinician at any stage of the process. Flo can also send patients advice to act on, or ask the patient health related questions and give health promotion messages. This is all done via the familiar ’SMS’ text messaging system and is completely free of charge to patients.
What are the benefits of using Flo to Monitor Blood Pressure?
- Flo gives practitioners the opportunity to monitor patients’ blood pressure remotely, reducing the number of face-to-face appointments required to diagnose, titrate or monitor hypertension.
- Flo gives patients the opportunity to have their blood pressure monitored by the practice without having to attend the surgery, reducing inconvenience and travel cost.
- Flo can remove white-coat syndrome, optimising readings and clinical decision-making.
- Flo allows patients to understand their own condition and make lifestyle changes/seek medical advice as required to allow them to maintain longer, healthier lives. In short it can motivate patients to self-manage.
- Studies show long term hypertension monitoring with Flo encourages medication compliance and therefore reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack.
A nationally produced video to support the Florence programme can be viewed via the following link: Florence Patient Video
The British Heart foundation also provides a 'how to' video to Managing your Blood Pressure at home: Managing Your Blood Pressure At Home
We encourage patients to purchase a home Blood Pressure device for self management of their blood pressure monitoring. Recommendations for a suitable device can be found via the Blood Pressure UK Org website link below. It would be helpful if you decide to purchase a monitor, that you let the surgery know to enable recording of this in your medical notes. Suitable Blood Pressure Monitors
Please take some time to read all of the information on the PDFs below. These are also available in a paper format, please ask the clinician who is leading your Florence care for a copy. Once you have completed the Patient Opt In Form, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we are only inviting a limited number of patients to use Florence at this time. Please do not fill in the opt in form unless you have been advised to by a clinician. We hope to expand the number of patients who are invited to use the Florence system in due course.
Patient Opt In Form
Florence Patient Leaflet
Text Messaging Information
Florence Privacy Notice
Using Florence to Monitor Your Blood Pressure Guide
Blood Pressure Shared Management Plan
Blood Pressure Shared Management Plan for CKD 3.5 and/or Diabetes
Scotstown Medical Group also has a contract with NHS Grampian to provide the following “enhanced services”:
- An annual flu immunisation programme to protect the elderly and at risk
- Regular monitoring, by blood and urine tests, for patients on a range of drugs for arthritis.
- Regular monitoring, by blood tests for patients on Warfarin.
- Annual comprehensive reviews for patients with heart disease
- Annual comprehensive review for patients with diabetes.